Monday, October 27, 2014

Market Day

Today I went with a couple teachers from my school to the msika (trading post) in a different village for Market Day. In the larger trading posts they have "market days" on certain days each week when there are a lot more vendors and you can get a greater diversity of items.

Besides the usual onions, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and greens that I typically see at my local market, they also had carrots, okra, eggplant, green peppers and green beans. Plus, they had fruit! I saw ripe mangos and two kinds of bananas. I've been pretty low on fruit the past two weeks so I jumped at these.


Guess what else I got-- macadamia nuts!  I think these come from the Thyolo area which isn't too far away. It would be fun to visit that area and see how they are grown.

When I got home the first thing I did was go for the mango. And... it was delicious! Very sweet, lots of flesh, and only a little bit stringy. I'm sporting a "mango mouth" right now where the fruit touched my skin while I was eating it. (Mangos, particularly the peel, contain a chemical that can be a skin irritant in some people). Totally worth it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment