Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Mmmm, bugs

I'm in the last seven months of my service now, and I still have a few things on my PC Malawi bucket list to do. One of them was to try nsima made from cassava flour instead of the usual maize flour. Another was to try the flying ants that people eat here. I got to do both last week.

Good old nsima. It was served with a tomato and egg relish as well as cooked cassava leaves. A classic Northern Malawian meal, and pretty tasty.



Afterwards the owner of the restaurant showed is where they were drying the flying ants in the sun.



Here is a closer look. They are about an inch long and have about two inch wings.



Just remove the wings and eat. Here is me about to eat one.



And here is me after. Really, it didn't taste bad. Kinda flaky, crunchy and salty. But the legs got stuck in my teeth and that freaked me out a little bit.


I'm glad I tried them, and I would eat them again. Especially if they were prepared in some dish. Maybe a flying ant burger?




No comments:

Post a Comment