Sunday, February 14, 2016

Simple pleasures

I've been in Malawi for almost 20 months. This second year has been tough because it is hard not to think about the finish line-- going Home. Especially now that my group received our official Close of Service (COS) date-- July 29th. So the countdown is on!

Still, the best way to be content as a PCV is to stay focused on the present moment. I feel incredibly lucky to have had this opportunity to live and work in Malawi as a PCV. I still have about five months left, and I want to enjoy every moment during the rest of my time here.

Sometimes the work, living conditions, language and cultural barriers can be frustrating. When that happens, it is important for me to take a step back and appreciate the simple pleasures here in Malawi. Things like the neighbor children coming over for English lessons and proudly sharing a new English word they learned in school with me. Or one of my student's asking a really thoughtful question in class. Or being able to buy fresh pineapple in my trading center, and then plant the top in my yard to hopefully grow my own plant. There are so many wonderful things about life in Malawi that I am going to miss when I leave. These simple pleasures make life really special here.

The countdown is on, but I still want to stop and enjoy the sunrises and sunsets while I can. Because they never cease to amaze me.


1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic experience, Stacy. I'll be looking forward to learning how you feel about it as time goes one. Will also be looking forward to seeing how you integrate all you experienced into your future life. Teaching maybe?

    ReplyDelete