Wednesday, February 3, 2016

R.I.P. Mouserat

After a few failed attempts at building Mouserat traps, I finally bought some poison in the city. These poisoned bait pellets were all they had in stock.


I put one in my kitchen and one near my bedroom. After the first night they were untouched, so I kicked it up a notch and added a dollop of peanut butter to each one. The next morning the one in the kitchen was moved about two feet and half eaten. I left it out and by the following morning it had disappeared. So I put a new one out with some fresh peanut butter, and that one disappeared by the next day.

I was starting to doubt the effectiveness of the poison. I also wondered if there was more than one rodent scurrying around my house at night. Maybe a whole nest? Eek!

But finally after maybe 4 nights the poop stopped showing up in the kitchen, and the bait remained untouched. So it was time for a test. 1) I left my glass cereal bowl upright, which is it's favorite pee spot. 2) I left my dish sponge out, which was it's favorite chew toy. The next morning everything was untouched-- success!

A day or two later I was walking by my storage room and smelled a hint of decay. Yep, it died in there. Luckily it was pretty fresh and there were only a couple flies buzzing around it. I used some plastic bags to carry it outside and dispose of it.

But not before snapping a photo.


I guess it was a mouse after all. Who knew one small rodent could cause so much trouble?

No comments:

Post a Comment