Thursday, August 27, 2015

Popcorn, Malawi-Style

Popcorn is a big thing here in Malawi, which makes sense because maize is the major crop. In Chichewa it would be "chimanga kazinga", but most people just use the English term instead. You can buy kernels in the local trading post by the kilogram, and there are always vendors selling little K20 bags of popcorn by the side of the road.

I bought kernels while Colii was visiting and I still had a lot left over, so I told Fanny and Ken that we could all make popcorn together.

We started with my charcoal mbaula, but I think the charcoal is bad quality and it wasn't lighting well. Fanny got fed up with it and took matters into her own hands. When it comes to cooking in Malawi, always let the 10-year old take control.

She grabbed a few spare bricks and branches and had the popcorn going in no time.



I don't know where Ken got this weird pose from, but it made me laugh.

Fanny's perfect popcorn. Just add salt and it's good to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment