Thursday, January 29, 2015

Where is my class?

Today I had prepared a really fun lesson for my double period Physical Science class. We are learning about electricity. I had a circuit to show them the difference between series and parallel circuits which they were going to get to use, as well as a group activity where they had to draw different types of circuits based on descriptions.

When the bell rang and I went to my class, this is what I found:



The rest of the class was outside slashing grass. It turns out that three quarters of the class was late to first period, and they did not clean the school in the morning, which they are required to do everyday.

So the punishment for missing class was to clean during first and second period. I was told I could start my lesson once they finished. About ten minutes before the end of the period, some of the students came into the staff room to mop.

I was able to enter the classroom and start teaching in time for third period. I showed them the circuit and we did some review and lecture, but there was not time for the group activity. I guess I will have to do that next week.

And that's what it is like to teach in Malawi. Or not teach, as the case may be.




No comments:

Post a Comment