Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Vechi de Anul Nou (Old New Year's)

Last night was Old New Year's Eve. The tradition of this Eve includes kids going from house to house in the evening singing songs, playing instruments, reciting poems; and in return they receive bomboane (candies) and bani (money) from the house owners. 

Apparently the kids go house to house by class. The 2 photos below are part of my 8th form (grade) class. About 30 minutes later my 9th formers did the same thing. It reminded me of a Moldovan version of Trick-or-Treating. Pretty cool!


Then, this morning some other kids showed up singing and throwing dried beans, corn, and rice into the entryway of the house...and again received bomboane and bani. After they left, i went to sweep up the "mess", but Mama-G told me we leave it until tomorrow and then gather it up and feed it to the chickens. 

I asked the kids this morning if they have school today...they said "No"...so now i'm wondering if my 9th formers will be in school today, since i'm supposed to be teaching them this afternoon...guess i'll find out soon enough! If they're not there, this will be the 3rd time of me showing up to teach and being the only one there...o well, at least it gets me out of the house for a nice little stroll to school and back (it's only about 1/4 mile / 1/2 km to school). 

No comments:

Post a Comment