Saturday, November 15, 2014

Raining amphaka ndi agalu

Raining cats and dogs

The rainy season (nyengo ya mvula) usually starts in November here in Malawi. However, it's a bit late this year. Lately it has been unbelievably hot and humid. It'll be like that for about 3-5 days, then just when I think I can't take it anymore, it gets overcast and maybe we get a few drops or a quick shower in the evening. Then the heat and humidity returns.

Friday was one of those hot and humid days. I was dripping with sweat when I got home from school. Then a couple hours later the temperature dropped a bit and it became cloudy. I decided to take a trip to the market to buy some mbatatesi (Irish potatoes, as they call them here) and enjoy the cooler weather. While I was out, potatoes in hand, I heard the rumbles of thunder, and then the first drops started. No big deal. Until... it started pouring! All of a sudden the market seemed empty, as everyone ran for shelter. I headed home, delighted that we were actually getting some real rain. After a few minutes I was completely soaked, and my feet were slipping around in my plastic shoes. I started to worry about the contents of my bag getting wet so I tried to walk a bit faster. Mud was getting in my shoes. Finally, with a cheery wave to my neighbors, who were taking shelter from the downpour on their porch, I was home.

After an hour the rain slowed down to a drizzle, and by sunset everybody was out again, doing their typical evening things. And then the heat returned, and it was one of the hottest nights yet. Sigh. It was nice while it lasted, but it's still Hot Season for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment